Tuesday, June 13, 2006
BLOG BLOG BLOG
I have only been at this blogging thing for a few weeks. I keep asking myself why I am so drawn to it. There are probably a number of reasons. There is the obvious one of course -- it gives me a chance to keep track of thoughts and ideas. I also, quite simply, love written words. But I think the deeper motivation for my blogging is that it gives me a chance to explore and "soften" my thoughts.

I think I have mentioned this before but I am the type of person who likes to process things a bit before I talk. Unfortunately, in both social and business settings, this can often mean that the conversation has advanced to an entirely different place before I am even ready to say anything at all! That is sort of bad.

I guess I like to be careful in what I say. Over the years, I have said things that I later regretted. We all have, I am sure. For me, the reason for this goes sort of deep though. I am not saying this in a mean way but, fact is, I have spent much of my life with someone who can easily and quickly explode into an irrational fit of anger if you say what he perceives at that particular moment to be the "wrong" thing. While I might try to justify my being quiet on this and justify my behavior by saying that we are all shaped by our pasts, I know that it is ridiculous to let my past, or others and things outside me, control my present. Fact is, this is some of the baggage that I carry around. Baggage that, through God's transformation in my life, I need to simply leave by the wayside and just move on.

But blogging does provide me with the opportunity for reflection. If I am writing about something personal going on in my life, blogging is a way to get my thoughts out but I can do so through a vehicle which allows me to take a close look at them and soften them a bit if God calls me to do so. Oftentimes, my initial reactions and thoughts can be too harsh. If you're reading my blog, you may not realize this but sometimes I go back and change my posts even after I have published them ... sometimes I don't give things enough thought before I click "Publish Post" and then, a few days later after a bit of processing, I see the need to make some changes, usually to soften things.

I don't really think that blogging is "therapy" for me but, rather, it is "practice" for me as I work toward improving my communication skills -- both my clarity and to make sure that my words are pleasing to God. It provides me that opportunity for self-analysis to ensure that my thoughts are in check and where they need to be if I am going to walk this walk of life full in and with God rather than keep one foot (or less) with Him and one foot (or more) with my own humanness.

  posted at 8:54 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome. How often I wish I could have changed my own reaction that was too harsh, and trade it in for something that is softened in God's love and grace. I pray that I would have godly responses and feel quite disheartened when I see more of me and less of Him. I'm grateful for this reminder of how important it is to keep our words, attitudes, and heart in check. Amen, let it be so.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Todd M said...

Wow. That's much more beautifully stated than anything I have ever written. You should be doing this, not me!

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing is a gift. It not only causes you to reflect and understand ideas more clearly and deeply, but when it is shared it does the same for others. A double blessing! Thank you for sharing.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Todd M said...

Awww shucks. Thanks Mom. Are you still coming over for dinner later?

(Heehee)

Seriously, thank you for your kindness and your encouragement. I do pray that, if anyone stumbles across my posts, God will speak to them in some small way through what I write about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • THE SYCAMORE TREE
  • IT WON'T BE A DEAD END
  • A BIG WELCOME ...
  • RACE CAR DRIVER?!?!?!?!!!!
  • THE BAD NEWS CUBS
  • SUNTAN LOTION
  • POINT YOUR KIDS
  • NO SHORTCUTS
  • WISHING THE BEST TO A GREAT LEADER
  • JUST JOKING AROUND

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama