Wednesday, June 21, 2006
HOW DO YOU HANDLE YOUR DISCONTENT?
I can easily lapse into wearing my discontent on my sleeve. It's probably in my DNA. I'm sure that somewhere in my DNA strand is a PYU gene (Publicize Your Unhappiness). So, I have to always work on that. The last few days, it was probably a losing battle but I am determined to do better today. One day at a time, right?

When I think about handling discontent in our lives, I think of three ways to do that. All of these need to be bathed in prayer but those three things that can wipe away our unhappiness all involve change. Funny thing, none of us likes change but it is necessary if we're going to move forward from where we're at.

First, you can change your Attitude. I Corinthians 14:15 (MSG) says that "I should sing with my spirit, and sing with my mind." Now I realize that this is not an easy thing to do and I also may be using the scripture a tiny bit out of context but my point is that what we're thinking to ourselves has a huge bearing on our happiness or lack thereof. No one has taught me this better than my wonderful Lisa has. This is something I saw in her from the moment we met many, many (okay, add one more "many") years ago. No matter the situation she is faced with, she maintains her happiness and holds faith in the future that things will be okay. As she often verbalizes to our young son "You can choose to be happy or choose to be unhappy about the situation. That choice is yours but the situation remains." As I have watched her live, she has also taught me that same thing. What a huge testimony she speaks in her own quiet, selfless way. Just one of the many reasons I love her ... I will move on before I get too teary-eyed.

Next, you can also change your Perspective when things become a bit too much to bear. This is all pretty scriptural stuff. Remember your blessings. Look for God's blessings all around us. Strive to show God's love at all times. Work to get along with everyone around you. Approach them with love and grace rather than a bad attitude. I have found in my life that, when I get down, I need to kick myself to make this happen but it is possible change my perspective entirely by focusing on the good things in my life. For someone with the PYU gene, it is sometimes more immediately satisfying to moan and groan but, deep down, I know that long term change and growth occur by changing my Perspective.

Finally, you can change your Situation. This is a step that I have never had to take, at least not to a large degree, and I cannot imagine the difficulty in taking this step. Of course, oftentimes, this step comes out of brokenness and it is out of brokenness that God raises a renewed spirit within us that can accomplish amazing things. Certainly, changing your Situation requires a lot of prayer and seeking God's direction. Sometimes, we will be in unhappy circumstances and God will work with our Attitude and Perspective to help us to grow in Him. Sometimes that is enough. But, there are other times when I believe we just flat out land in the wrong Situation. I think that, when a life transformed by God is in the wrong Situation, He will make it very clear that change is necessary.

Discontent? Change your Attitude, Perspective, or Situation. Bathe it in prayer and seek His direction ... or you can stay where you're at and do nothing.

(Okay, I have to confess, I wanted to re-order those as Attitude, Situation, Perspective so that I could title this post "Watch Your ASP" but I thought better ... I could never actually write such a thing as that!)

  posted at 7:40 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • ANOTHER JOKE
  • SACRIFICE OR NAP BY THE FIRE?
  • SQUEEZE ME or WHAT'S YOUR FORTUNE, COOKIE?
  • LIGHTS FLASH BUT I'M OKAY
  • A BIG WELCOME ... II
  • PITCH 'N MISS
  • MEN AND CHURCH II
  • HOME IMPROVEMENT
  • SERMON ON THE MOUNT
  • BLESSED PEACEMAKERS

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama