Tuesday, July 18, 2006
CAREWORK
A year or so ago, I wrote the following article for our company newsletter. I'm going to post it here as a reminder for myself and as a way to keep track of it.

How about this as a new word, perhaps even a word which could help define what we need to always be all about here at Classic Metal Roofing Systems– “Carework”. No, I didn’t say “casework” and, no, I didn’t say “teamwork” either. I said “Carework.”

To me, “care” is what it all comes down to. Caring about our families. Caring about each other. Caring about our customers. Caring about our suppliers. Caring about everyone we encounter along life’s journey. That is ultimately what the Classic Touch comes down to.

“Caring” doesn’t come easily nor do I believe it comes naturally to the human condition into which we are born. That is where the “work” part of “Carework” comes in. Even though caring may not be easy, it sure makes life a lot more enjoyable and creates lasting, affirming relationships of inter-dependence and mutual respect. Admittedly, though, it’s probably a whole lot easier in this world to be self-centered and not care about others than it is to care about others.

But where do lives lacking in care lead? We all have heard the adage that money can’t buy happiness. What seems to follow that old adage is that positive relationships with those around us are what bring happiness. You can’t have those relationships without caring.

When I think of a self-focused individual who has never allowed themselves to care for someone else, I think of a self-absorbed hermit who eventually ends up living and dying alone without any contact with others. They simply never allow themselves the privilege of forming good relationships with others.

As someone who is naturally a pretty big-time introvert, though, I could end up that way if I do not put a little “Carework” into play in my life. Fact is, I do need time alone. As a good friend of mine once told me, it is through time spent alone that someone like me gets recharged. And, fact is, I have to work at going out of my way to make contact with others. But, when I use a warm and sincerely caring heart to contact others, I find myself richly rewarded with friendships, relationships, and even just “mere acquaintances” that I would not trade for anything.

Think about frustrations you have. We all have them. How can you put “Carework” into play to make things better? Are you struggling with a relationship with someone either in or outside of work? Why not come alongside them and simply say “Hey, let’s talk a bit. I care about you and about our relationship and it occurs to me that we both maybe have some things to clarify in our relationship so it can go forward in a healthy manner.” Very few people will turn you down when they are approached with that sort of caring attitude.

One question that occurs to me though and has perhaps occurred to you is this – is it possible to “care” about someone without actually “liking” them? Can you show fraternal “love” to someone without actually “liking” them? I believe that, yes, we can. In fact, I think that we all have a part of our heart and brain which allows us to sincerely care for and, yes, love others even though they may not be someone we’d want to spend every waking minute with. For healthy relationships throughout our lives, we must do that. I have known so many people who hold grudges against others, not realizing that it is only themselves who they are hurting. If I am holding a grudge against someone or refusing to show basic human kindness and caring to someone, then I am the one that is forced to live with that baggage. The person I don’t like can go on happily. What sense does that make?

For me, yes, it is my faith in God and desire to follow His commands that drives me to care about others (whether I “like” them or not) and to extend myself outside my comfort zone to show that care. I think that the ability to care is something we are all born with. It is when we put it into practice that our lives become so enriched.

One thing I know is this. When I open myself up to truly caring for others, and to showing that care for them, I am happiest. When I become self-absorbed and refuse to show a caring attitude to all those around me, I become unhappy and unfulfilled and I find myself carrying around the constant weight of heavy baggage.

So, think about it … how can we put “Carework” into play here at our jobs or in our personal lives? How much will we and those around us benefit from it? What does it take to come alongside others (even those we may not “like”), see things from their perspective, and always reach out to them with a sincerely warm and caring heart and attitude? Yes, it takes “work” to do that but ultimately it’s better than the alternative … isn’t it?

  posted at 10:46 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • HOE ANA
  • TODAY I WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
  • GODSPELL
  • TRUST IN THE WORKPLACE
  • QUAIL
  • DONE ANY CANNING LATELY?
  • JOY IN THE WORK
  • HELL INSIDE OF A TUNA CAN
  • LUTHER OR GALILEO?
  • VERY FUNNY SITE

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama