Sunday, August 13, 2006
TOTAL DEPENDENCE
Last week, I spent several days in Pittsburgh for trade association meetings. On the day that I was to drive home, I was not feeling well at all. I was supposed to have attended meetings lasting until about 3 p.m. but I bugged out at about noon. I called Lisa and let her know what I was doing. I wasn't sure if I had truly caught an illness but, if I was going to keep feeling worse, I wanted to get started on my five-hour drive home as soon as possible.

Now, you have to understand, I am not a good one for long drives to begin with. Especially when feeling mentally and physically pretty exhausted from three and a half days of almost non-stop meetings including several technical meetings involving things so far over my head it isn't even funny ... but yet being in a leadership role in the organization, people are always looking to me for magical answers to which I usually reply, "Oh, did you say something?"

In the late afternoon, as I was getting closer to home, I called Lisa at work to let her know where I was and when I should be home. I asked the receptionist for Lisa and she said "Is this Mr. Miller by any chance?" Taken back a bit, I answered affirmatively. "Oh, I have been praying for you all afternoon," she said. "Lisa told me you were driving home and not feeling well. So, I have been praying that you'd feel better, stay awake on your drive, and be able to make it home safely."

"Well, thank you," I said. "That is so nice of you. I think your prayers worked because I am feeling better than I was and I will be home before too terribly long."

I really was pretty taken aback by what she told me. You see, all afternoon, my only thoughts had been of my "self" ... how I needed to suck it up and tough out this ride home. How I could do it! I may have said a quick prayer or two but by and large I was doing nothing but relying on my "self" to make it home safely.

The recepionist, though, brought me back to reality -- reminding me that God is in control. That I am nothing without Him. That He would be the one to get me home safely -- not my "self". It's a shame that I needed that reminder but it is part of the shape I am in right now ... part of where I am trying to grow from as I realize and live out total dependence upon God.

  posted at 7:43 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • MY OPPORTUNITY
  • HMMMM...
  • OTHER PLACES TO GO
  • THOUGHTS OF ISRAEL
  • WILL I FOLLOW IT?
  • WALMART
  • JOY THUGS
  • ONLY GRACE
  • JOY IS OURS
  • SOLITUDE CAN BE A STATE OF MIND

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama