Saturday, October 28, 2006
NAKED CARTWHEELS, ANYONE?
Do you know that euphoric feeling you get when you have been sick or in pain for several days and, finally, a majority of the misery melts away and you actually feel pretty good? It may make you want to do cartwheels down the hallway, greet everyone with a smile and a big hug, dance around your living room, or run around naked in your front yard … whatever your pleasure is, I think we all know that feeling of finally feeling well after being miserable for several days.

I experienced that yesterday. For the first day in over a week, I was able to walk most of the day without a limp. No more feeling like Quasimodo dragging a leg behind me! It was freeing, it was joyful, it was euphoric! I was still in some pain but, oh, it was so much less pain than I had experienced for several days prior. A huge weight of pain, misery, and worry had been lifted from me. The black cloud was gone. Blue skies had broken through. I could truly put on a happy face. I tend to get a little giddy and silly when I am at home and finally feeling good again. It was either that or all of the left-over Halloween candy but I was probably driving Lisa nuts last night.

Of course, that was my physical side and, boy did it feel good. But on our emotional sides, how much stuff do we carry around day in and day out that weighs us down and creates a black cloud? How much baggage, how much garbage, how much head trash? Grudges against others, building walls between us and them, guilt over past mistakes, worries about the future, concerns over our abilities, pridefulness and egos … these are all often deeply embedded things. Things that are, in reality, much harder to shake off than a bum knee or a bad cold.

But yet Jesus, if we can turn things over to Him, if we can trust in Him, if we can follow His assurance, offers us the same joyfulness and euphoria that we feel when that bad cold or flu goes away or when that bum knee finally starts to feel better. It can be ours all the time.

Treat others the way you want to be treated, my grace is sufficient for you, go and sin no more, my strength is made perfect in your weakness, the one who humbles himself will be exalted, all things work together for good … these are all His assurances that we were made in His likeness, that we can live emotionally pain-free and joyful lives, that we can do cartwheels down the hallway, smile and hug everyone, dance in the living room, run naked in the front yard (well, maybe that one should be taken under advisement) … but freedom is ours when we accept what He so freely offers and when we consistently follow Him in all parts of our lives.

  posted at 6:30 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Lisa M said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. It is painful for me to see you in pain. Just so you know - I've warned the neighbors about your possible cartwheel performance. LOL! Love you!!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Sing it, brother! What a great post! I am very happy to hear you're feeling better physically but am also grateful for the reminder about treating others as I wish to be treated. My mother is in town for the weekend and that is EXACTLY what I needed to be reminded of this morning.

Thank you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • PSALM 8
  • PSALM 7
  • A PERFECT MATCH
  • SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
  • PSALM 6
  • THE ISOLATION CHAMBER
  • THE BIBLE IN 3.2 YEARS
  • WOW. AND DOUBLE WOW.
  • I JUST REALLY, REALLY LIKE IT
  • PSALM 5

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama