Wednesday, November 29, 2006
70s SONGS
There wasn't a whole lot for kids to do in the small town I grew up in. About the only kids in town were my sister, me, and two neighbor girls, the youngest of which was one of my first crushes I guess. But I digress...

We spent time riding bikes and playing various games. Seems like we were outside constantly during the summers. I remember a couple of summers, probably when I was about 9 or 10 years old, that we spent a lot of time listening to a small transistor radio. It ran on a 9-volt battery so we could take it outside. We could pretty much only get one or two stations on it and the one we listened to was the "pop" station out of Lima, Ohio. It seems like they always had one of those contests going where you were trying to be the tenth caller or something in order to win something. We spent a lot of time running inside the house to dial the phone but we never got through.

Three songs really stick in my mind from back then. "Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney. "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. And "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" by Tony Orlando and Dawn. Sure, I can remember many other songs if I try but those three really stick out in my mind.

A song about running from the law, one about going to jail, and one about getting out of jail. Wow. The 70s were special times.

I wonder what songs Evan will remember from his childhood. I don't listen much to today's popular music. I may not even recognize it if I hear it. Especially if Snoop Dog getting arrested for the umpteenth time yesterday is any indication, I suspect that some of the songs have the same subject matter as those I recall from my childhood. But definitely to a different beat.

  posted at 8:54 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • A HEAVENLY STRATEGIC PLANNING SESSION
  • A DRAINING PROBLEM
  • PSALM 40 (Contemporary English)
  • McDONALD'S VISIT
  • PSALM 39 (NLT)
  • I'M IN LUCK!
  • PSALM 38 (THE MESSAGE)
  • FASTING AFTER THE FEAST
  • STOP AND FEAST
  • PSALM 37 (NIV)

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama