Tuesday, March 06, 2007
I THOUGHT I'D DIE
Strange post here ... getting used to them, are you?

A couple of years back I went to the Emergency Room, convinced I was having a heart attack. I wasn't thinking I was going to die but I was convinced that I was having a heart attack.

You know how, on the TV shows, if someone comes in with chest pains, they rush you right in to a doctor? Well, that doesn't happen at Upper Valley Medical Center - at least not for me. I was told by the receptionist desk lady to sit and wait my turn. So, much chagrined, I sat and waited my turn.

Maybe she's psychic. I was not having a heart attack. I learned a couple of hours later (after sitting and waiting my turn) that I was having an anxiety attack. All that sitting and waiting, of course, was very helpful to my anxiety problem. In any event, I survived that incident reasonably well.

Today, though, I had something very different happen. I truly thought I was going to die ... and I discovered that I think of weird things when I think I am going to die.

I was working at my desk all afternoon and I had a severe headache. I took some Tylenol but they didn't help. I am no stranger to headaches but this one was particularly bothersome.

All of a sudden, it was like I felt something snap or burst in my neck. Immediately, my peripheral vision started closing in and I was certain I was going to pass out. Actually, I was certain I was dying. Somewhere off in the distance I could hear a plump lady singing. (She was singing "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts", by the way -- an exceptional rendition of it at that!) The main thing I thought immediately was that I didn't want to die alone. Not that I wanted someone else to die with me but I wanted someone there. I just didn't want to be found slumped over my desk, cold and stiff. So I called out to a couple of my office friends. They came and stared at me with inquisitive looks on their faces. What do you say to someone who thinks they're dying? One of my friends told me I looked pale. I was thinking that was probably acceptable for someone who was dying. I didn't have time to run out to the tanning salon. He asked if I wanted a glass of water. All I could think was that I probably shouldn't drink anything because I wasn't sure how long it would be before I'd see a bathroom.

I thought about calling Lisa but I didn't want my last contact with her to be hearing me croak on the phone. "Hi, Lisa? It's me..." (very long pause) ... not a good last memory of your spouse. I thought a lot about how very much I love her.

I thought of friends ... I thought of projects that I hadn't finished ... projects that would be left uncompleted. I thought of all the "stuff" I have accumulated over the years and that someone would have to go through it and throw it all out. I hated the thought of being a burden to others.

Other than thinking of beloved family and friends, as well as these couple of odd things, I was ready to go ... ready to travel ... anxious, even.

Well, I didn't die. I didn't even completely pass out. The plump lady changed her tune and started singing "Yes, We Have No Bananas". I still don't know what happened. Just one of those weird things I guess. But it is interesting to consider the things I thought about the afternoon I was convinced that I was about to die.

  posted at 11:02 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 12:17 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Holy cow, Todd. I mean REALLY. If something snapped in the back of my neck and I started losing my vision I think I might have been inclined to dial 911.

Oh sorry...forgot for a second there that you were a MAN.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Todd M said...

You hit it on the nose.

I did go to the dr today ... he thinks it was just the start of a cluster headache ... though I do get to have fun with getting a brain MRI next week. I have a feeling the MRI will show nothing but circus animals and chocolate chip cookies in my head. Not necessarily in that order.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Todd said...

That is an interesting bunch of songs that you heard when you thought you were dying. I like bananas better than coconuts. I am glad the coconut song lost.

Love you man!

Todd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • GRAPPLES
  • PROLOTHERAPY
  • JEREMIAH 50 (The Message)
  • YOU DON'T SAY!
  • THOMAS MERTON QUOTE
  • JEREMIAH 49
  • JEREMIAH 47 - 48 (NIV)
  • IN THE MIDST OF TRAGEDY
  • JEREMIAH 46 (NIV)
  • LOVE THOSE TOENAILS

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama