Thursday, April 05, 2007
TRUSTING THE PILOT
I am trying to discover what it means to really have God at the helm of my business. On a very superficial level, I have tried to have it be that way in the past but recent trials have shown the "self" in me popping up too often rather than seeking and following God's direction. I heard an amazing testimony last night from a business owner who has really put God at the helm. It was hugely inspiring.

Following is an article written by former US Senator John Grant that has also been helpful in this quest.


"In you, O Lord, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame. For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust O Lord, from my youth. Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother's womb. My praise is continually of you."  (Psalm 71:1, 5-6)

Watching the radar weather on television wasn't very encouraging, but I proceeded to the airport anyway. A major snow storm was bearing down on just where I was headed. Fully expecting my flight to be cancelled, I approached the ticket counter and checked in, but between the counter and arriving at the gate, the flight was cancelled. I was actually a little relieved after watching the film clips. I didn't get discouraged because I trusted the pilot in control, the ultimate fly or no fly decision maker.

After a little while, I was re-routed to a nearby airport and as we pushed away from the gate, I was a little uneasy about the weather, but I trusted the pilot to make the right decision. After nearly three hours in the air, we began a decent and when got near the ground, it didn't look good. Surely we wouldn't land in this mess. I began wondering which airport we would be diverted to. Again, I trusted the pilot to make the right decision.

Then the voice of the captain informed us that the weather on the ground was accumulated ice, blowing snow, a chill factor of below zero and a thirty mile an hour cross wind. Surely we would not land, but then he said it would be bumpy, but we were heading for the ground. I trusted the pilot.

We landed on one wheel on a runway packed with about a half foot of ice and as the pilot tried to set the other wheel down, the plane started to loop around tail first. It was a bit scary, but the pilot shot power to the port engine and we straightened up and came to a bumpy halt. There we sat for nearly three hours before ground crews could plow a path to the gate. I sat there calmly, as the plane shook in the wind, because I trusted the pilot.

Life is like that. We have to trust God as our pilot. Whenever I see someone with one of those "God is My Co-Pilot" bumper stickers, I want to say to them, "If God is your co-pilot, then you're sitting in the wrong seat!"

Somewhere along the way each day   I must be willing to say, "I'm not the captain of my own ship. I'm not the pilot in control of the flight plan, the destination, or the ride. I can't fly this thing, I need help!"

I keep trying to climb out of the pilot seat each morning and hand the controls over to God and here's my four point flight plan:

-             Each day, I specifically acknowledge that I need to have God lead my life through his Word and his Spirit, otherwise I will make a mess of things. (Romans 8)
-             Each day, I intentionally rejoice, knowing that the Creator of the universe is involved in my life, working things to conform them to his will. (Philippians 2:12-13)
-             Each day, I purposely reassure my heart with the promise that I am not alone in trying to live my life and in trying to do what is right. (Hebrews 13:5-6)
-             Each day, I consciously trust that even when I've messed things up, God is going to step back in and work things toward his eternal purpose for my life. (Romans 8:28-30)

So rather than sticking God in the copilot's seat, let's let him fly the plane!

  posted at 4:27 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • THE WORDS WE SAY
  • PLACES I DON'T WANT TO GO
  • HE BORE IT ALL
  • HEBREWS 11 (NIV)
  • HEBREWS 10 (The Message)
  • GO FLY A KITE
  • THE BLINK OF AN EYE
  • HEBREWS 9 (The Message)
  • TOO HARD TO HEAR
  • HEY JULES

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama