Thursday, June 28, 2007
GOOD QUESTION
A friend and mentor of mine recently posed this question to me (as he had been posed it by a friend of his):

Is the fruit you are currently producing consistent with your potential at this season of your life?


Wow. If that isn't a thought-provoking and good question.

I have thought quite a bit about it. This season of my life seems like a very busy one. Of course, all of the prior ones did, too. Perhaps I am my own worst enemy in that respect.

As I age, I am finding that I am more of an "idea guy" than a "do-er". I used to laugh at people like that. I used to say things like "Those who can, do; those who can't, consult."

But I am discovering that wisdom does come with age. Part of that wisdom is the increasing knowledge and awareness that I always need to keep learning, keep reading, keep listening. Somehow, that increase in knowledge creates an increase in creativity and that is where the ideas come from.

Fleshing out those ideas is where I need help in order to be as effective as possible. But my fault is in sometimes being too controlling of the fleshing out of those ideas, often not empowering others enough, and sometimes simply tossing out ideas whose time really has not yet come.

Of course, on the other hand, I crave seeing creativity in others. I get tired of being the "idea guy" ... I want to see others grow and flourish and come into their own with ideas and successes. I actually have no problem being an "Indian" (just an old saying -- no slur intended) beneath a good chief who has the creativity and casts a strong vision and direction. No problem at all. I enjoy following good leaders. I see a real lack of them in many organizations, though, including my own company. And sometimes I worry if I have created that situation by being too controlling and not empowering enough. I see people who want to lead but they don't want to really step out with fresh ideas and the clear vision of a true leader.

Sometimes there is a deception that takes place wherein the leader claims they are empowering others but yet they send mixed messages, don't provide the right tools, etc. I wonder how much I fall into that and how often that impacts the fruit I am producing.

Am I being as fruitful as I can be in this season of my life? Probably not. There would be something prideful in saying that I am.

So I move forward, press on, striving to better myself, striving to empower those around me, and striving to help them be as much as they can be, whether I am leading them or following them. I enjoy serving and helping others and want to do more of it. That is my life I think.

  posted at 7:13 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 10:40 AM, Blogger HeyJules said...

That is probably the best question I've heard in a very long time. I'll have to go think about that one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • LIFE AFTER RESURRECTION
  • WORKPLACE FAITH
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY
  • AIR POLLUTION
  • FAMILY JEWELS
  • MEET THEM WHERE THEY ARE
  • FREE AT LAST
  • THE GOOD LIFE
  • JAMES 5 (The Message)
  • REMAINING VERTICAL WITH GOD

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama