Sunday, September 16, 2007
NOT A GOOD THING
I have struggled with my weight for about half my life. Okay, maybe "struggle" is the wrong word because sometimes I have just given up. I long for the good old days when I could pretty much eat anything and stay relatively thin. I graduated high school weighing about 120 pounds with a 28" waist. Those days are gone, difficult though it is to admit.

I am fortunate in that, despite my weight, I stay relatively healthy. My blood pressure, especially when I am away from the office for a few days, goes down to about 120/60. My cholestrol could be better but is not horrible either. So far, no diabetes though diabetes does worry me since there is a lot of it on both sides of my family. I have had some knee problems but I really feel those are more the fault of fibromyalgia than my weight. I struggle with fatique but there again that goes along with the fibro and Chronic Fatigue. Though I get sick of it in other ways, I am still "blessed" (if that is the right term -- okay, it definitely is not the right term) to be able to consistently work 70 - 80 hours each week.

But, try hard as I can to hide behind these things, there is no escaping the fact that I have a weight problem.

So far, this post has gone a very different direction from how I intended ... let's try to get back on track.

I really am not an over-eater though I do not always eat the best things. Sometimes I have fallen into a horrible habit of "justifying" the bad things I eat by thinking to myself "Sure, I had that ice cream cone but at least I didn't have those potato chips, too." I know how bad it is to think that way but sometimes that is what I do. I justify my poor eating habits on the basis that they could be worse.

The really bad thing about my doing this is that it is a pet peeve of mine. I see so many people, either in the workplace or their personal lives, justifying their poor behavior on the fact that they are not as bad as someone else. And that just drives me nuts.

Since when is it okay to not strive for all we can be -- all God intended us to be --just because someone else doesn't? This sort of self-justification really makes me crazy and I see it so often.

You may ask why I work 70 - 80 hour weeks. It may seem crazy to you. Yet I know that those kind of hours are necessary if I am going to come anywhere close to completing the work ahead of me. So, I become self-motivated to rise to the occasion and get the work done. If I don't want to do the work, then I need to change my situation. That is easier said than done but the point is that once I have accepted a task, I must rise to the occasion, not justify my poor performance on the basis of another's poorer performance.

When we justify our behavior by comparing ourselves to others, we fall into a pit of mediocrity ... we perpetuate a downhill spiral of mankind and behavior. Again, this applies to the workplace but also to our personal lives and behavior.

I know that I can justify my shortcomings just as quickly as anyone but we all really need to guard against it. They need to teach kids this stuff in school. It bothers me a great deal that, as a society, I see us declining in this area. There seems to be less and less respect for personal accountability and responsibility.

And that is not a good thing.

  posted at 7:21 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • ZECHARIAH 2 (NLT)
  • GREAT PHOTOS
  • ZECHARIAH 1 (The Message)
  • EGONOMICS
  • THOMAS MERTON ON PRAYER
  • II TIMOTHY 4 (The Message)
  • WE ARE THE BODY
  • OFF WRITING
  • ALDERBROOK RESORT AND CONFERENCE CENTER
  • II TIMOTHY 3 (The Message)

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama