Saturday, October 13, 2007
FIFTH GRADE RECESS
It was a very cool November day. As the fourth and fifth graders headed out for recess, I overheard one teacher tell another that this might be one of the last days that we'd be able to have recess outside for awhile. Winter would soon be upon us in Ohio.

My friend (his name was also Todd) and I were doing our usual recess thing. Not much. Sort of walking around talking and exploring a bit. But then Mrs. Swailes, our teacher, approached us to ask us something. She pointed to the swing set. Generally, our class had gotten too old for the swing set. No one played on it anymore. Well, almost no one.

We immediately knew what, or rather "who," Mrs. Swailes was pointing at. The one lonely girl who would play on the swing set by herself each recess. She had her body sort of flopped face-down over it, the flexible seat holding her abdomen. Her feet were dragging in the dust and her face was looking at the ground as she slowly, almost morosely swung ever-so-slightly back and forth, back and forth.

Her name was Belinda O'Reilly. I really didn't know her story. I don't think that anyone did. Fact is, there was a reason that we didn't want to know her story. But then Mrs. Swailes said what I knew was coming -- "Why don't you boys go over and play with Belinda? She looks so sad and lonely."

I am sure that Todd and I were thinking the same thing. "Why us? We don't want to go play with her!"

Almost immediately, though, we were saved. One of the teachers blew the whistle which meant that recess was over. While most kids didn't like the end of recess, this day at least Todd and I appreciated it greatly. We were able to get out of this conversation with Mrs. Swailes ... and we didn't have to go play with Belinda.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a reason that no one really wanted to know Belinda's story. She was a nose picker. At almost any time during class, you could see her picking her nose and, well, eating her boogers. I had seen her do this ... we all had seen her do this.

And Belinda didn't "look" quite like the rest of us. She didn't dress as nice. Her clothes looked like they must have been hand-me-downs and they didn't always seem as clean nor as neatly ironed as the rest of the class's clothes. She was a below average student, didn't really participate in anything and, if you ever did hear her speak, you couldn't help but notice a sort of lispy impediment.

I went home from school that night wondering how things would go tomorrow at recess. Was the teacher going to bother us again about playing with Belinda? Fortunately, we had been saved by the whistle that day but what would tomorrow bring? Why had Mrs. Swailes asked us? Why, we were even still at the age where boys and girls didn't play together much. Didn't she know that? Playing with a girl bothered me as much as anything about Mrs. Swailes' suggestion. But had Mrs. Swailes seen something inside of Todd and me that made her think we would be good at reaching out to Belinda ... at perhaps even changing this sad girl's life? I didn't know.

Today, I no longer remember exactly what happened at recess that next day. But I do know this. Todd and I never played with Belinda. Not the next day nor the day after that nor the day after that. Not ever.

When I look at my son, I wonder if kids still behave the same way we did back then. Are certain kids still completely ostracized because they just don't quite "look" or "act" like the rest of us? I suppose that, overall, things have not changed much but, sometimes, I see glimmers of hope that kids are more tolerant, more accepting, even more loving than we were 35 years ago.

And then I look at my adult colleagues. How often do we still set out to not only ignore but sometimes even damage other adults because we don't like them, or because we don't understand them? In reality, it is usually because we don't take the time to understand them. We never take the time to understand their stories ... stories that could take us from dislike or even hate to acceptance or even love. But we don't want to do that. Apathy is easier than action. Hatred is easier than love.

Worst case ... wars are started this way. Best case ... we miss out on opportunities for life-enriching relationships.

I am hopeful that, today somewhere on a fifth grade playground, there are kids -- even boys -- reaching out to the Belinda O'Reillys of the world. I am hopeful that the future will be brighter.

But yet I also know that, if that is going to be ... if it is going to really take root ... then it must be modeled by me and my contemporaries.

  posted at 7:31 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 9:55 AM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Todd, you just brought back many memories of a girl named Lenore Watilo. She was the tallest girl in my class and had a back brace throughout most of grades school to correct her scoliosis. She was doomed from the beginning...

But, eventually the back brace came off and we realized how being really tall could benefit the person next to her when playing "Red Rover" and by the end of grade school Lenore became Lennie and life got better for her.

And better for me, too. Because I'm the one that took her hand when playing Red Rover. :-)

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,

I check into your blog on occasion. You have a fabulous way of helping me reflect on myself and the way I act towards others. I feel lost at trying to be a Christian and your insight is enlightening. This piece hit close to home. I was the Belinda on your playground, not literally - no blast from the past here but I was the different one, I was the one that the other girls made fun of and to this day sometimes I still feel like the outcast. And, sometimes I find myself acting just like them to someone else. That "power" seems to make me feel better...for a moment maybe, until my conscience kicks in. Everybody has a story and you're so right about trying to learn it. It is a cold feeling when you realize how wrong you treat someone. The scary thing is the people that don't feel it at all.
I wish you all the best with your book, keep sharing your awesome vision.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Todd M said...

Anonymous -- thank you for your incredible insight, and for your kind words. I have not felt much like writing the past few days but your comment is huge encouragement to me.

It is amazing how our pasts shape us ... the difficult thing is in combining things of our past with the freedom we have in Christ so that we can use those things for God and to help others ... rather than let them paralyze or galvanize us.

As a good friend of mine says, Keep on shining! I do not know who you are but your post allows me to see that you have a wonderful heart,

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, This is Lenore Houston (nee Watilo) and I would like to know who "Hey Jules" is. I loved Red Rover as a kid and no one could break through my grip!

I am a happy well-adjusted woman, recently divorced, living in Santa Fe, NM and I have always known that we create our own lives and realities with the guidance of God!

Anyway, please contact me at 505-603-2467...Thanks!!!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger thetorch said...

Hi This is Lenore Watilo and I would like to know who "Hey Jules" is.

505-603-2467

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • HUH?
  • EXCESS
  • THOMAS MERTON QUOTE
  • ONGOING HORROR IN CONGO
  • MORE WADING
  • TAINTED BY HUMANITY
  • GETTING INTO TROUBLE
  • I READ ...
  • SURVEY II
  • COOL

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama