Saturday, January 05, 2008
WHAT IS YOUR GOD STORY?
I have been thinking a lot about “story” lately. That is because stories about “story” keep bombarding me. When something just keeps coming up and getting spotlighted again and again, it becomes pretty apparent God is trying to tell us something, don’t you think?

First, one of my favorite authors, Donald Miller, spoke up at Mars Hill Church about “Story”. A friend pointed it out to me and I listened online.

Then, last week, our senior pastor did a sermon on “The Power of Story.” It was incredible how closely it tracked to Donald Miller’s talk but yet Chris had not heard Donald’s talk. That is the power of God and the Holy Spirit.

This morning, as I was driving in to work, the DJ was talking about God’s story in her life and challenging us each to discover our own God stories. Hers is that she is a cancer survivor. She had a type of cancer that 75% of all people who get it end up dieing of it. She is very much alive and cancer-free several years later. She talked about how others might have a story like being a single parent and how God has seen them through that.

The fact is, we all have stories all the time. The question is what do we do with them. God gives us all potential for big stories because those stories can be used as “jumping off places” to do great work for Him. God gives us overriding stories that follow us through our entire life and he also gives us opportunities to make the most with many smaller stories … stories that may last just a year or a few weeks or, really, even just a few minutes or seconds. That is the power of God.

I have often felt bad that my faith journey doesn’t include any real dramatic conversion or transformation story. I have heard other Christians say that as well. Of course, feeling that way is sort of stupid because folks who do have dramatic stories of transformation or conversion or recovery will be quick to tell you that, while they would not want to deny God what only He could do through their story, life could have been a whole lot easier had their story not been so dramatic.

So, this morning, as I listed to the DJ, I thought about what is God’s big story in my life. What has he given me uniquely as a “jumping off place” for doing great things for Him? I can really only think of one thing and that is the people he has blessed me with in my life. First and foremost, obviously, are my wonderful family and close friends but my story goes far beyond that.

I do not say this to brag because it is not something I have done – it is only something that God could do and, because of that, I know He expects me to make much of it as part of my story. God has allowed me to meet and know many people during my life. Literally thousands. And He adds to their numbers daily. Again, I am not bragging on myself. This is only because of God. There is nothing special about me … never has been. I am not good looking. Have never been athletic. Have always been pretty quiet and am definitely an introvert in every sense of the word. I am not by any even remote stretch of the imagination a great leader even though God has given me tremendous opportunities to try in that area. I always got pretty good grades in school but, let’s face it, good grades and $4.25 will get you a nice latte at Starbucks and that’s about it. I make mistakes all the time. Sometimes I think I specialize in mistakes. I am good at ideas (sometimes) but lousy at follow-through. But, despite all these facts, God has blessed me with knowing thousands of people across not only the United States but the globe. These have come through business and other contacts. I know people from almost all walks of life. They’re all amazing but they run the gamut in terms of what they “look like” both literally and figuratively.

Knowing these thousands of people scattered all over, I think, is the story opportunity God has given me. It is my “jumping off place” to try to do something great for Him. It is a blessing. I must make much of it.

What is the “big story opportunity” He has given you? It’s there – believe me.

  posted at 8:01 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • CHANGE THE WORLD, CHANGE YOURSELF
  • MIGHTY INTERESTING PUTTY
  • CALI-FLORIDA DREAMING
  • ROMANS 12 (NIV)
  • THE S-CURVE OF MY TOILET
  • MIGHTY PUTTY
  • ONE FOR THE HISTORY BOOKS
  • HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • ROMANS 11 (The Message)
  • ONE RESOLUTION

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama