Thursday, November 09, 2006
MY MOMENTS
We all have our "moments," don't we? I am talking about the times when our actions and words don't reflect God's beauty. Hopefully, as I move forward in my faith journey, I have more "good" moments and fewer "bad" moments.

Sometimes I am not sure that we as humans fully grasp the impact that our not-so-good moments have on others. I was at a doctor's office today and, after I saw the doctor, I had to meet with the woman in his office who schedules testing and follow-up appointments and makes sure that your insurance is going to cover things. I have no doubt that hers is a very tough job, dealing with patients who don't feel well and insurance companies that all may have different opinions and policies. When I first approached her, she was "okay" in terms of attitude but she seemed a bit indifferent. I made an extra effort to be pleasant and try to get her to smile a bit. By the time I was ready to progress to the next window -- the "payment" window -- she was joking and smiling and she said "You have been so pleasant to talk to. Unfortunately, not all of our patients have been that way today."

She'd been beat down by folks with surly attitudes and they had her feeling less than great about herself and that had surfaced in her indifferent attitude when I first approached her. Attitudes are something that we often pass on -- they are pretty contagious. We catch them from others and then give them to the next person. And I believe that, 99% of the time, our attitudes reflect how we're feeling about ourselves. I am as guilty of this as anyone. If someone shakes my confidence in myself or causes me to start questioning my place in the world or my relationship with them, I start building big old thick and seeming impenetrable walls between myself and the world. Once those walls go up, my not-so-good attitude surfaces, my reaction to and treatment of others is impacted, and this bad cycle then starts with them.

Lisa has been the primary person in my life who has helped me to understand that I really do have control over my attitude. I can choose to have good days or bad days. What I have come to realize more and more is the impact that my good or bad days has on others -- the cycles I can start in them which they then will pass on to others.

Jesus Christ gives me the strength to try to maintain a good attitude. He helps me, when I reflect on things, to understand that my worth as an individual comes from Him, not from the world. When I keep this in mind, then I can maintain a positive attitude that will be contagious to others. When I get caught up in my "self," though, my opinion of myself will lag, my attitude will sag, and it all just sets off a round of negative tag.

(Hey, that last line was kind of fun! Make it a great day!)

  posted at 6:00 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Bundle of Paradoxes said...

Todd- a great reminder and a great way for me to start the day! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • PSALM 20 (NLT)
  • PSALM 19 (NLT)
  • PSALM 18 (NIV)
  • THOMAS MERTON QUOTE
  • I WILL NEVER BE 18 AGAIN
  • PSALM 17 (NIV)
  • PSALM 16 (THE MESSAGE)
  • THE 1-20 RULE
  • FIRST WOMAN
  • PSALM 15

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama