Thursday, May 03, 2007
NATURALISM
Evan's Cub Scout Pack had an outing this evening. We all met at a nature reserve about a half hour away from our house. A very nice young woman met us when we arrived. She introduced herself as a "naturalist". That is when my mind went to a very bad place.

I always thought that "naturalist" was another word for "nudist". But she was fully clothed. Considering the fact that about half of our group consisted of eight-year-old boys, it is a very good thing that she was fully clothed. Considering most of the other half of our group consisted of balding and graying middle aged men, it is also a very good thing that she was fully clothed.

Turns out that I had the word "naturalist" confused with the word "naturist". Oh well.

After introductions, we started walking. It was a pretty nature preserve -- I'd never been there before. But have you ever seen that Kevin Bacon movie where he takes the kids whitewater rafting and then turns out to be a real psycho before he falls down a cliff? It's one of those movies that I have never seen in entirety but I have seen bits and pieces of numerous times. It's called White Water Summer in case you're wondering.

Well, I couldn't help but think about that movie as we wandered through the wilderness led by this young woman who seemed like she easily knows enough to survive on her own in the wild for, well, probably the rest of her life. I guess the entire evening was filled with my mind going very bad places as I imagined her leading us into a place where we'd be very lost and then she'd go psycho on us.

Speaking of movies (I realize that was awhile ago -- sorry), people make fun of me whenever the subject of movies we've seen comes up. I have lots of movies I have caught bits and pieces of (I am a channel surfer -- just ask Lisa) but have never seen the whole thing. Movies like Jaws, Star Wars, and The Blues Brothers are included amongst those. People make fun of me because I have never really seen such classics as these. I joke about the fact though that I saw most every movie made between 1982 and 1986 because, when I was in college, the local theatre had "student dollar night" each Wednesday so I tended to go every week. I am proud to say that I have seen, in entirety, every movie that Air Supply ever recorded the soundtrack for. (I have no idea if that is true but it sounds funny and it may be true.)

Where was I? Did I mention that the naturalist's name was Rachel? She was very nice and very knowledgable and wonderful with our easily excited pack of wolves ... er, um, CUBS ... but she really freaked me out once, especially since I was already having thoughts of Kevin Bacon (who pretty much has always creeped me out no matter what movie he was in ... sorry ... same goes for Sean Penn ... sorry ... I should keep my mouth shut). Rachel freaked me out when, after hearing the hoot of a bar owl (I always thought they were barn owls but she said they were bar owls ... I don't go to bars often ... maybe I should), she turned her head to the sky, cupped her hands around her mouth, and made an identical call to the owl. It was really very freaky ... especially considering the whole Kevin Bacon thing, like I said.

Anyway, we survived the walk. One of our Cubs caught a frog and they all got to play in pond seaweed ... "pondweed" I guess. And our wonderfully coordinated son (he must have gotten my agility because Lisa still has hers) fortunately never fell in the pond. It was a nice time and Rachel did a great job.

And what did the boys enjoy most? The "farting spider" that Rachel pointed out to us, of course! Rachel explained that that smell which insects give off sometimes is actually something they do when they feel threatened. They fart, thinking that the smell will drive away any predators. It probably works. I am thinking of taking their lead and practicing this in my office on days when it seems like I have a revolving door of people bringing me problems.

I hope I can sleep tonight ... too many thoughts of Kevin Bacon. Did I mentioned he pretty much creeps me out? I'm sure he's a very nice guy though.

  posted at 9:27 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • PRANK 2
  • WON'T YOU BE MY HONEYBEE?
  • EXODUS 21 (The Message)
  • THE END
  • WE WERE MADE TO LOVE AND BE LOVED
  • EXODUS 20 (The Message)
  • PRANKS
  • TECHNOLOGY
  • EXODUS 19 (The Message)
  • EXODUS 18 (NIV)

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama