Wednesday, June 06, 2007
LEARNING SLOWLY
I had something happen last evening that I had no intention of posting about. It wasn’t that unusual of a situation. Our church is located in the downtown area. Anyone who spends much time there will, with at least some frequency, have people around the church ask them for handouts. Our church and the people there are known for being Jesus to folks in need. That’s a good thing.

As I was walking into the church last night for a meeting, a gentleman on a bicycle stopped me and explained his story of being homeless, living by the river, and waiting for his next social security check to come in. He was looking for some money to help him get through. I opened my wallet and it opened to a $10 bill which I gave to him. I have to admit, I had been thinking of $20 but a ten was there so that was what I pulled out. He immediately started crying as if he’d won the lotto. We chatted a bit and I learned that he is in touch with some resources to help him hopefully get back on his feet. I got his name and said I’d pray for him. He said “God bless you” to me and we both went on our ways.

Fairly ordinary stuff.

But God had more in the story for me …

As you know, I like coffee. I had this idea that perhaps this morning I would have a chance to drive about 10 miles away to visit a Starbucks located oddly enough inside a Kroger store. While there, I could get a hazelnut latte and a pumpkin scone. I had it pretty much figured out.

Until I started praying … and I started praying for Rick who I had met the night before. It occurred to me that the $10 I gave him apparently meant a lot to him. Admittedly, I do not know what he spent it on but it meant a lot to him. It wasn’t a huge sacrifice for me to give it to him though.

And then I thought about my possible Starbucks visit:

Hazelnut Latte -- $4
Pumpkin Scone -- $3
Gas to get there -- $3

Total cost -- $10

Silly as it may sound, this was to be my sacrifice for giving $10 to Rick.

So, instead, my breakfast this morning consisted of

Cup of coffee made at home – 20 cents
Pecan Pie Muffin made by my wonderful girlfriend last evening – priceless, and delicious

And then I went out to get in my car to drive to work … my car is filthy right now. I haven’t washed a car “by hand” in years. Instead, I go through the automatic things. The cost for that? Basically $10.

Should have given Rick the twenty last night, eh, Todd?

And then in my email this morning, appears this devotional by Skip Moen. Enjoy …


INTIMATE DELIGHT

"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8)


To Love Kindness -- Micah's choice reveals a deeper meaning. You see, Micah does not choose a verb (to love). Instead, he chooses a noun. It isn't grammatically correct in English, but it communicates something absolutely vital in Hebrew. If you want to know what God really wants, then you better pay attention to the Hebrew version.

The phrase is ahavat hesed. Once again, we are familiar with the second word. Hesed is that powerful umbrella covering concepts like mercy, goodness, faithfulness, kindness and steadfastness. Read Psalm 136 where hesed is used twenty-six times. Hesed is ultimately a description of the loving character of God, seen in every single act He performs. If you love hesed, then your life is a mirror image of the Creator. His attributes shine right through you, radiating the world with the glory of His person.

So, why does Micah choose a noun to describe this requirement of the Most High? The answer is this: ahavat is a noun that is often associated with the deep intimacy of love between human beings (Jacob and Rachel, for example). This word is used ten times in the Song of Solomon (nearly one-third of its occurrences). It covers the emotional and volitional aspects of the closest taste of heaven given to men and women on earth. It is the noun of personal delight in someone else. And, it is used to describe God's particular enthusiasm over His people (Deuteronomy 7:3).

Do you love kindness like this? Do you delight in mercy and faithfulness? Are you thrilled at the thought of delivering your enemies, providing for the needy and weak, lavishing mercy and goodness of those undeserving, maintaining steadfastness in the face of betrayal, and, more than anything else, upholding the covenant commandments with your Lord? Do you look upon the redeeming work of the Kingdom with the same intensity that you have when you look into the face of the one you love here on earth?

Micah picked the right word. We can't skate by with some watered-down sentiment of general goodwill toward kind acts. To love kindness is costly. Those who understand ahavat know that the symbol of ahavat is the cross. That's what is required of you, O man.

Now what are you going to do?

  posted at 7:47 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 9:04 AM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Guess He proved his point, eh?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Todd M said...

yeah, but will I listen and remember?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • LOVING EVERYONE
  • I CORINTHIANS 9 (The Message)
  • I CORINTHIANS 8 (The Message)
  • HALF-TIME
  • LEADERSHIP
  • I CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)
  • OPPORTUNITY OF OUR WORDS
  • WORSHIP
  • I CORINTHIANS 6 (The Message)
  • I CORINTHIANS 5 (NLT)

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama