Friday, July 06, 2007
ANOTHER MAN'S SHOES
I stumbled across this on the worldwide web. Usually, I see poems like this as being pretty corny and sappy but -- and perhaps it is the mood I am in -- this one really spoke to me today. How often do I get caught up in my life -- perhaps even copping a "holier than thou" attitude -- when I really, really need to step back and look at others, see what paradigms they come from, and understand what drives and motivates them? It can be hugely eye-opening. Like I said, this really spoke to me. Particularly if you have someone in your life right now who is troubling you, perhaps this poem will speak to you as well. We never know where others come from but we're placed here on this earth not to compare ourselves to others, not to be mean, spiteful or judgmental, but to love one another, to encourage one another, and to help one another. Wars start because of individuals or groups that refuse to see things through the other's eyes ... that refuse to have hearts which allow them to know what it would be like to walk in the other's shoes. Which heart will I choose to have today? One of softness, grace, compassion, and empathy ... or one of hardness, ego, scorn, and selfishness? Will I choose to follow God or to follow the dregs of my own humanity? Will I spend my life concerned with judging others or concerned with whether I have truly lived the life of a disciple of Christ?



I met a man walking, on a long dusty road;
he seemed to be burdened, with life's heavy load.

His hair was kind of shaggy, he'd been sleeping in his clothes;
his shoes were old and weathered, not pretty, heaven knows.

I said, "hello Sir, how do you do";
he looked at me and said, "how'd do".

I said, "Where are you going, on this hot sunny day";
he said, "I'm looking for heaven, and leave here I pray".

I said, "Come on now, don't be a fool";
he said, "This world is just too cruel".

I said, "Please explain your reasons to die;
before you leave this world and say good-by".

Then he said, "I'll tell you and maybe you'll see;
but promise me that you won't judge me".

Promise me that you won't condemn;
cause you just don't know, the condition I'm in.

You won't know me, or understand my blues;
until you have walked awhile in my shoes.

Until you have read every line in my face;
until you have stood awhile in my place.

You won't know me, until you have carried my load;
and struggled along this old dusty road.

Until you have felt, my pain and rejection;
and felt my sorrow, and felt my affliction.

He said, "I was born into dire poverty;
as rough a life, as ever can be".

My dad ran away, and my mother was cruel;
and everyone else, called me the fool.

I wandered the streets, when I was only nine;
getting into trouble and wasting my time.

I've been in many jails, throughout the years;
had a lot of heartache, shed a lot of tears.

I've felt cold eyes, staring at me;
by upper class people, and high society.

I've met people who won't, give me the time of day;
who went into a big fine church, and kneeled down to pray.

I've been cheated out of money, by everyone I've known;
I've been hated and despised, down to the bone.

I've felt hatred as cold, as an ice house floor;
from total strangers, that never met me before.

My whole life has been, filled with pain;
sometimes I wonder, if I'm insane.

But if I am, out of my mind;
why am I hated, most of the time.

Don't people have compassion on the mentally ill;
or be concerned, as to how do they feel.

Don't misunderstand me, I've done wrong too;
I'm not perfect, but neither are you.

People have tricked me, and slandered my name;
and talked behind my back, then smiled just the same.

I'm weary and tired, of life's heavy load;
not too many more days, will I walk this old road.

By my outward appearance, I know I'm not much;
But how can you judge me, by clothes and the such?

If anyone loved me, or cared at all;
they'd give me some help, this burden to haul.

Only God Loves me, this I believe;
from this whole world, nothing I receive.

If I were rich, and had plenty of money;
everyone would adore me, and call me honey.

But I am quite poor, from my presence they flee;
I've heard their cruel whispers, and slanders of me.

He now had stopped speaking, and he looked at my face;
I saw a tear on his cheek, leaving it's trace.

I was speechless and astounded, I spoke not a word;
he slowly turned, and walked down that old road.

I stood there just thinking, of the man I had met;
and suddenly I loved him, my eyes were then wet.

Another human being, I'll never judge nor condemn;
cause he may have walked, where I've never been.

How can I judge or condemn any man?;
until in his shoes, I walk and I stand.

  posted at 9:44 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • IS THE DOCTOR IN?
  • FOOD
  • FOURTH OF JULY
  • M & V
  • VACATION QUESTION
  • LESSON LEARNED
  • OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW
  • PRAYERS NEEDED
  • FRIENDS
  • LIVING FOR A GREATER CAUSE

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama