Thursday, October 25, 2007
BIBLES
I pulled the following comment from a blog I follow called Just Another Pretty Farce in which the blog owner posed a question about giving out Bibles for Halloween. Here's a comment she received:

Hi there…

I found your blog by googling “bibles for halloween”…I was just interested in knowing if anyone else ever gives them out.

I gave my life to the Lord 8 years ago, and one of the first questions that I dealt with was what to do on halloween night. I didn’t have children, and so I thought I’d just turn out the lights and go somewhere.

Well, God pierced my heart and led my husband and I to give out Bibles for halloween. We gave really nice ones, that were kid focused, and related to their different ages.

I expected the children to be bummed out that I didn’t have a candy bar for them…yet, we were both AMAZED at the overwhelming responses from the kids! One of the children who came lived in a million dollar home, and as he walked away from our door, he kept saying, “DAD! Look! They gave me MY VERY OWN BIBLE!”

We did it again the next year when we lived in another part of town, and that year children were knocking on our door saying, “Is THIS where I can get a Bible?!”.

That same year, a mother came to our door and asked me to step outside. She pointed to a huge group of kids standing in the middle of the street on halloween night, reading their new Bibles.

I disagree with the above poster. I don’t believe that our lives as followers of Christ are to be separated into “church at church” and all else as we please.

I have been humbled by what God has done through giving His Word to those who don’t have it.

We’ve seen 2 children come to Christ as a result, and won’t know until we get to Heaven one day what God did in the hearts of all of the others.

The Bibles we’ve given were the Adventure Bibles, and the Teen Study Bible.

Oh, yes…one year a teenage boy about 17 came by to ask for a Bible for his little brother. While he was at the door I asked him if he had a Bible of his own, and he said “no”. I then asked him if he’d like one, and he said, “oh, yes!”.

So, we took down his name and number, because we had run out of the Teen Study Bible and ended up getting him a nice Quest Study Bible in leather with his name on it.

When we dropped it off to his LARGE and BEAUTIFUL home, the young man had huge tears in his eyes. He said, “I can’t believe you did this for me.”

I responded, “It pales in comparison to what God did for my by sending Jesus to pay my sin debt. This isn’t from us, it’s from Him, and He wants you to know how very much He loves you.”

I say give them out. Pray hard and long and strong for each little soul that will come to your door.

You’ll be amazed by how thankful the children will be. The ones that have been MOST excited about them each time we have given them out, have been the pre-teen and teenage kids.

I can see how your posters above would think as they do, because I thought the same way…but was totally and completely surprised by the gratitude each time, and we’ve done it now 3 times.

Expect God to surprise you in a big way, because He promises that His Word will not return void.

If you want to share what happened, should you decide to give them out, please feel free to visit my blog and leave a comment…I’ll then send you my e-mail address.

Have a super day!
Jes


I thought that was extremely interesting but it falls right on the heels of my spending yesterday morning on the campus of Ohio State University along with about 100 other Gideons distributing Bibles.

This is the second year I have taken part in the OSU Bible distribution. Truth be told, it's the only thing I have ever done as a Gideon.

Both years, I have walked away amazed by the courtesy and friendliness of the students we encounter on campus. I would say that, overall, you give a Bible to about one out of every three students you approach. I was working at a bus stop yesterday with another Gideon and, together, we gave out about 260 Bibles in maybe four and a half hours. That would mean we talked to maybe about 800 students.

About another third of the students reply that they already have a Bible at home, or they have already gotten one from another Gideon that morning. Only about a third refuse the Bible without giving much reason.

I had probably a half dozen or so folks tell me they are of other faiths or atheists. Obviously, I am troubled by those encounters but I am also pleased that, at the very least, they are thinking about their spiritual side and trying to come to some decision.

I had one young man initially refuse the Bible but then go ahead and take one on second thought before running over to the trash can and tossing it in. This was at a busy moment at the bus stop. Other students were overheard to show shock at the "rudeness" (their word) of this young man's actions. Partly because of my surprise and lack and preparedness for this and partly because of things being so hectic at the moment, I had nothing to say in order to engage him in conversation.

A half hour later, I had all kinds of ideas for things I could have said ... I will be better prepared next year. I feel like I missed a real opportunity this year with him. I wish I would have said something like "I sense maybe you've had a bad experience with the church, is that true?" and seen where things went.

Next year I hope to be better prepared.

Yes, I expect to take part in the distribution next year. I hope the weather is warmer but, really, yesterday wasn't too bad.

Of the third of the students we approached who went ahead and accepted a Bible -- many of them seemed very appreciative. Some seemed to be taking it the way you give a few cents and accept a poppy in front of the post office -- so that no one will bother you again. A few could be seen reading their Bibles, leaving me again to wish that we were distributing something a little easier to read than NKJV.

Handing out Bibles is certainly not to my mind the best way to reach people but you can reach large numbers in a short period of time and I suspect that a few lives will be touched in ways that will bring them life eternal with Jesus ... and other lives were touched in ways of inspiration and encouragement for existing faith journeys. I do not know a final number yet but probably about 12,000 Bibles were given away at OSU yesterday.

  posted at 5:23 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Jes said...

Hey Todd,

I'm actually the person who posted the comments that you referenced above.

The stories that have come back to us through the years, about how God has used His Word, handed out on halloween night, still amaze us.

One of my favorites was a neighbor that I met about a year after giving her 4 year old a kids Bible. She said, "OH! Are YOU the ones that gave that Bible to her?"

I said, "yes".

She said, "I have had to read that Bible to her EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for the past year! She WILL NOT go to sleep unless I read to her from it!"

:)

Turns out, God was ministering to the mother's heart too...a mom that had lived quite a hard life...and the Lord was reaching out to her through His Word, read to her little girl each night before bed.

There are so many stories like this!

I'll be praying for the college kids that you gave Bibles to this week. Thank you for doing that for the Lord.

When I did a study on the book of Hosea, and saw what happened when there was "no knowledge of God in the land", I was convinced all over again of the importance of giving God's Word to those who will receive it.

I'd love to have you stop by my blog sometime...

I'll be checking back to yours too.

In Jesus,
Jes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • ZECHARIAH 10 (NIV)
  • ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
  • ATHEISTS WANTED
  • 1000 POSTS
  • SURVEY
  • PEOPLE MAGAZINE
  • HUMBLED
  • WADE IN THE WATER (REMIX)
  • A NEW WEEK
  • HEY KIDS!

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama