Tuesday, April 22, 2008
COUNTRY ROCK CHURCH UPDATE
Yes, I attended the inaugural ride of Country Rock Church this past Sunday evening. A good time was had by all.

I believe that about 120 people were there. (I have heard numbers from 100 to 140 so I am just picking something in the middle.)

Afterward, I went through our church directory and counted 65 people from our usual faithful who were there. A number of other people were who I would call "gawkers" -- folks from other area churches -- were there. And I also saw a few folks who seemed to be living a "cowboy" lifestyle who wanted to check things out.

I believe that Sunday evenings typically see a thin crowd at The Pub so there were not a lot of "regulars" there. It would be cool to see us supplement things maybe by having a few folks go to The Pub on weeknights to hang out a bit. Perhaps that could reach a few and get them to come check things out on Sunday evening. I'd be interested in that but it would take some encouragement. I see evangelism as a necessary part of my Christianity but I also see it as an area where I am not spiritually gifted. Man, I admire those who are!

And, for those who are wondering, the bar was open but, overall, I would say that The Pub has probably never before sold so many cans of Pepsi in one evening. They sold a few pizzas and wings, too.

This whole story hit the AP yesterday so hundreds of papers across the country have now run short blurbs on it. That is cool but it's not why we're doing this. I suspect that Chris is up to his eyeballs in calls from reporters across the country now.

I have been following some of the comments popping up on the internet associated with this story. Most people are very supportive. Some are not. And I do appreciate their points. Particularly for folks who perhaps come from personally destructive backgrounds, I can see how they would be uncomfortable with this whole idea.

One thing I was thinking about, though, for those who see this as being sacrilegious: Would you support a prison ministry? I suspect that most people would say that, yes, jail and prison ministry is a good thing. How is ministering, on their own ground, to those who are imprisoned by their own behavior, lifestyle, demons, and "stinking thinking" any different?

  posted at 6:53 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd,

Thanks for commenting on my blog today, and sorry if I seemed so strong against the idea of the barroom church.

I do struggle with the open bar period, but your post helps the minds of believers who may have only got a small blurb from the AP today.

I will personally pray for the ministry to be a light in the dark, and see souls saved. I personally would not embark on the idea itself, but I am called to different areas of ministry.

Keep us up to date when you can!

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Todd M said...

Thanks much, Joshua!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger King of Peace said...

Jesus promised that those who follow him faithfully will fac persecution. I am sure it has been a tough week for your pastor and congregation, but we'll just trust that God is using this publicity to catch the eyes and ears of someone ready to hear the Good News y'all have to share at the Pub Lounge.

peace,
Frank

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Todd M said...

Thanks so much, Frank.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger The Bosom Serpent said...

I am not so sure that your analogy about prison ministry works. Folks who are locked up have no choice. As for the church in a pub I think it goes too far. Where do we stop? Would church in a gay bar be ok?

I guess for me it's more important that I understand the Church and and work to preserve its sanctity instead of having the church follow every fad that comes along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • WHO ARE YOU?
  • WHAT DOES YOUR DAD DRIVE?
  • I WORE TENNIS SHOES
  • IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING
  • SOMETHING NEW
  • COMPASSION AND ENCOURAGEMENT
  • FAITH IS A VERB
  • COMPASSION FORUM
  • THE HUMAN HEART
  • BEATS CHER AND GREGG ALLMAN AT LEAST

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama