Wednesday, November 12, 2008
WANT TO LIVE LONGER?
Bluffton, Ohio is a town of oh, I don't know, maybe 3000 people. But I grew up in a village about 15 miles away that had only about 300 people. So, to me growing up, Bluffton was one of the "big cities" we would occasionally go to for shopping and other things.

After my family moved about an hour away to a city of about 18,000 when I was 11 years old, I didn't have a lot of reason to go to Bluffton any more. But I still had fond memories of it as a friendly little town with a very homey feel to it.

That probably explains why, when it came time for me to move away to college, I chose Bluffton College ... and I loved it. Seems like I spent as much time "in town" meeting and visiting and working with folks as I did on campus. I still stop by there on occasion. My favorite coffee house in the world is there, and trust me -- I've tried a lot of them. It's called Common Grounds and, of course, it wasn't there while I was in college. Would have been neat if it had been though.

I still subscribe to the weekly Bluffton News, just to keep up on what's going on there. I worked for the newspaper when I was in college, as a proofreader and a features writer. The editor who was there when I was there, Fred Steiner, left for a few years but he's been back at the paper now again for many years. He's always been a huge inspiration to me as well as a mentor. (And I really would love to have his job.)

Anyway, what was the point of all this? Oh yeah ... do you want to live longer? Move to Bluffton.

In this week's paper, there were three obituaries. Ages 96, 98, and 102. That isn't uncommon when you look at the Bluffton News.

Also, there were two great stories on older residents of the village. One was on Luther Shetler, aged 91 and a half. I had Luther as a prof in college. He was a hoot. A little bit silly, he liked to make giant bubbles and encase people in them. He made learning fun and real. He was "living curriculum". Luther was in the news this week because he is "retiring" from 24 years of volunteer work at the local assisted living home. Of course, he will still be volunteering at the hospital. In his picture, he looks as spry and mischievous as ever.

The other story was on Margaret Steiner. She is 93 and actually was around when John Dillinger blasted his way through Bluffton once. Margaret is the Bluffton News' editor's mom. In the article on his mom, he tells the story of how she was once at the post office window when she dropped her purse. Picking it up and looking to make sure everything was okay, her comment to the postmaster was something along the lines of "Thank goodness my whiskey bottle didn't break!" He also tells the story of how, when he was growing up, his family was the only family in town to subscribe to Ebony magazine. I am sure, by the way, that, at that time, Bluffton was an all-Caucasian town, including the Steiners.

Anyway, there's something very special about Bluffton ... a feeling ... an atmosphere ... and ambiance ... or maybe it's the water (which would be a pity as I believe their water now comes from another town.) But there's something special there ... and it encourages living long and living vibrantly.

Gotta love it.

  posted at 8:09 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • DONUTS FOR ALL
  • MONDAY MORNING
  • TERRIBLY DIFFICULT SITUATIONS
  • NON-PROFITS
  • MARKETING OF THE PRESIDENCY
  • SUNDAY NIGHT MUSINGS
  • AUTOMOTIVE BAILOUT PLAN
  • AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY
  • NEED MORE JOBS
  • GOD IS GOOD

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama