Monday, September 04, 2006
CRIKEY!
The death of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin hit me as a huge shock today. We haven't watched his show too much the last couple of years but we watched it quite often when Evan was younger. One of the things I have tried to do for Evan over the years is buy him a keychain from each city I visit. I do not recall what city it was from but I once bought him a keychain that had a Steve Irwin figure on it which said "Crikey!" when you would squeeze it. Keychains don't get any better than that.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to visit Australia and, while I was there, I was very interested to learn of Steve's popularity in his home country. It may seem a bit odd but I really was curious what other Australians thought of him. For the most part, they were very proud of him and felt that he represented their country to the world very well.

I sort of feel like I did when Princess Diana died just a few days over 9 years ago. This is another death of someone from my generation. Someone who captured the hearts and imaginations of many during their time on earth. Someone who was a bit bigger than life and had become a genuine symbol of their country. Someone who challenged us all to be what we can and to get beyond our fears. Someone who died before they were really able to complete their mark on the world.

Steve got a bum rap a year or so ago when he held his young infant son as he fed some wild beast. All I could think was that I was glad that every stupid thing I do as a parent doesn't hit international headline news.

Steve lived a life committed to the things he loved. He found his joy in every minute of close encounters that would make the rest of us squirm in our seats. Whether or not he knew it, he challenged us all to face our fears and to find our joy.

May he rest in peace.

  posted at 10:25 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • THIRD GRADE (PART II)
  • THIRD GRADE (PART I)
  • I'M SO SORRY
  • PRAYER FOR EVAN'S SCHOOL
  • WORKPLACE FORGIVENESS
  • WEARING MY SUIT
  • SCHOOL DAYS
  • BUSINESS (AND LIFE) RULES
  • STAND IN THE RAIN
  • THOMAS MERTON QUOTE

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama