Sunday, November 19, 2006
GHOSTBUSTERS
Hopefully you remember the movie "Ghostbusters". It came out during my junior year of college. Along with a couple of my good friends, we dressed up as the Ghostbuster trio at Halloween and went Trick or Treating in the girls' dorm. That was fun. Now, there's a cable television show where teams go out to measure paranormal activity and hopefully record a few ghosts on film or tape.

Today, as I travel around, I encounter many cities which have evening or night-time "ghost tours." Often walking, carriage, or bus tours, these tours take the curious past buildings that are supposedly haunted by tortured souls mourning over lost loves, tragic lives, or grave injuries. I see this most often in eastern seaboard cities. I guess because they have old buildings and one can imagine old buildings having well, old ghosts.

I guess I am curious, do you believe in ghosts? While I believe that across time and space there are dimensions we cannot even begin to imagine, and I believe that God can and sometimes does send angels to earth, I don't think I quite buy into the stories of tortured ghosts roaming around old buildings at night opening and closing doors and walking up and down steps. If they were really around, I think they would have at least discovered late night cable by now and be spending their nights watching infomercials for cleaning agents and cheap jewelry.

Someday, though, maybe I will ask God whether ghosts really did haunt old buildings in eastern seaboard cities. And perhaps He'll prove my current thoughts wrong and respond, "Oy Vey! You try dealing with a couple of billion souls and see if you don't have one get stuck somewhere now and then. Now, I remember back in our "expansion" of 1863, we were having to stick them everywhere because we just didn't have enough space. I intended to retrieve them all but, I guess, a few got forgotten here and there. What's a guy going to do? I'm not as young as I used to be, you know!"

That brings up a question, do you, like me, think of God as having a funny accent? I can't get over that. But it's an improvement over my old view where He was just this judge sitting on His very tall throne who we'd all have to parade in front of as he dealt out our judgments. "... deal, deal, no deal, definitely no deal, deal, sorry about your luck, Chuck, deal, no deal ..."

Now, I see the gates into heaven more like immigration into Mexico. As you pass through, you either get a green light meaning you can go ahead or a red light meaning that you have to stop and have your baggage examined. (Just kidding ... well, sort of.)

  posted at 8:02 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • PSALM 30 (NLT)
  • POPT
  • CAMELS
  • ONLY A DUMMY
  • PSALM 29 (NIV)
  • PHONE PHOBIA
  • ANY THOUGHTS?
  • PSALM 28 (THE MESSAGE)
  • THE EFFECT OF FREEWILL GAMMA RAYS ON MAN IN THE MO...
  • PSALM 27 (NIV)

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama