Tuesday, November 21, 2006
RED OR GREEN?
I received the following devotional in my email this morning. Written by former Florida senator John Grant, I could not resist posting it here since it relays something I wrote about a day or two ago.


"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6).

I was passing through immigration in a small Central American country this week and became rather intrigued with their random selection process in customs. As you approach the customs exit, there is a large signal light that looks exactly like those at traffic intersections.

After the customs officer finds your papers to be in order, he instructs you to press a button below the light. If it turns green, you are free to go, but a red signal puts you in an inspection line for a rather comprehensive review. I had watched the process for about ten minutes while I stood in line. I was trying to figure out a pattern and there was none.

It might flash red three times in a row and then green for the next ten times. I gave up trying to figure out how I would fare. It was an exercise of chance, totally beyond my control, so I relaxed and waited my turn.

I thought about that's how it will be when I reach the pearly gates, only it won't be an exercise of chance, as the outcome will have been predetermined by me before I leave this good old earth.

I also noticed, as I stood in line, that the customs lights were missing one thing usually found at an intersection... a yellow light. Yep, it was red or green with no in between, with no time to make a made dash to beat the red light. It was all or nothing. Either you were in or you were out. There was no middle turf or time to make up your mind.

I don't believe that God's heavenly admission lights have a yellow or caution light either. When your case comes up for heavenly review, either you're on or you're out. And, it's not a matter of chance either. It's a matter of grace. And, I won't push the button.... God will, as the decision is His, but his decision is based on my earthly acceptance and the forgiveness of my sin. Paul writes in Romans that if I confess with my mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in my heart that God raised Him from the dead, I will be saved. That sounds like a plan to me.

As I drove away from the airport I thought about the heavenly process, I did so with an assurance that I have already arranged for a green light. It won't be a game of chance. It is a done deal ...... signed, sealed and delivered.

And, oh by the way, if you are wondering how I fared in the customs line, I got a green light and was out in no time. This green light was good luck, but the one waiting for me in heaven is good theology.

  posted at 6:00 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 5:45 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Oh Todd, I really liked that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • PSALM 32 (THE MESSAGE)
  • NEW LINKS
  • PSALM 31 (NIV)
  • HAPPY THANKSGIVING
  • THIRD GRADE
  • GHOSTBUSTERS
  • PSALM 30 (NLT)
  • POPT
  • CAMELS
  • ONLY A DUMMY

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama