Sunday, November 19, 2006
THIRD GRADE
Through my fourth grade year, my family lived in LaFayette, Ohio. LaFayette was / is a small village with about 300 people. It sits in eastern Allen County and, hence, the school I attended was called Allen East. Most things in town revolved around the school or the local Methodist Church (which is not where we attended.)

My school always had two classes for each grade. Very few students actually lived "in town" like we did. Most students lived on farms in the surrounding area. Generally, I was with the same kids every year but there was a little bit of mixing each year. I suspect that the teachers cast lots over which students they had in their class each year. I am sure that some students were sought after and others, well, not so much. I won't say which camp I was probably in. :-) I like Evan's school because there is only one grade for each class. The kids really become very close to one another. That is fun to watch.

My third grade teacher was Miss Guthrie. She lived in town, next door to my grandparents in fact. She was the quintessential 1950s elementary teacher. Nevermind the fact that I had her in 1972. She had taught for about 30 years before I had her and I know she taught for quite a number of years after as well. We didn't damage her too much I guess.

Each day in Miss Guthrie's class would start with two things. The Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord's Prayer. Yes, The Lord's Prayer. In a public school. That was a pretty neat way to start each day and, no, the ACLU wasn't pounding on the door demanding that Miss Guthrie be burned at the stake. During the course of the year, each student had one week during which they led the Pledge and the Prayer.

My week was when I had stage fright. For the life of me, on Monday of my week, I could not remember how to start The Lord's Prayer. There I stood at the front of the class, all of my classmates facing me. Miss Guthrie, too, in the back of the room. I stalled. I waited for all of the kids to be quiet and very still, attempting to appear like I was trying to strike up a certain reverence for the moment. Fact is, I was speechless. I knew how The Lord's Prayer started but darned if it was coming to me. I debated whether, if I just made some indistinct guttural sound, everyone wouldn't start praying and then I'd be just fine. But I stood there in silence. Finally, realizing my apparent predicament, Miss Guthrie started the prayer and we all followed. I didn't have any problems the rest of the week.

I guess that's my third grade story. Sort of meaningful as I think of Evan being in third grade and in a school where formal group prayer is a regular part of their day. I like that. Someday I will reminisce about the "poofy shirts" I wore in second grade. Yes, I think Jerry Seinfeld stole the idea from me. And, maybe next year, I will talk about my fourth grade disaster with basketball. Good stuff.

  posted at 10:35 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • GHOSTBUSTERS
  • PSALM 30 (NLT)
  • POPT
  • CAMELS
  • ONLY A DUMMY
  • PSALM 29 (NIV)
  • PHONE PHOBIA
  • ANY THOUGHTS?
  • PSALM 28 (THE MESSAGE)
  • THE EFFECT OF FREEWILL GAMMA RAYS ON MAN IN THE MO...

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama