Sunday, December 10, 2006
CALLED TO BE A BARBARIAN?
I just recently completed reading "The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within" by Erwin Raphael McManus. Lisa got it for me for my birthday. I think she is trying to inspire me to be lessing boring -- less milquetoast and more salsa perhaps.

Anyway, this book has had sort of mixed reviews by the "mainstream" church in America. That alone made me want to dig deeper into it.

The book is an easy read as it challenges one's thoughts on what the life transformed in Christ is really called to be. I read this book the same week that I heard Donald Miller speak via simulcast. That was quite interesting -- very similar messages yet very different approaches. Miller takes a much more relaxed approach to calling us out of the traditional church setting and make sure that we are showing God's love outside of church. McManus talks of a much stronger approach.

McManus calls his readers to be bold and active in their faith. He is the founder and senior pastor at the Mosaic church in Los Angeles but his life sounds more like something out of Miami Vice. Because he was not raised in church, he claims that, when he came to know Christ in his 20s, he really wasn't forced into the limitations of traditional church but instead could be bold in his faith.

I suspect that God's call on our lives always has varying degrees of boldness. But I am wondering if that doesn't have a lot to do with our listening as well. If we're expecting God to ask us to be on the bold "barbarian edge" of Christianity then I believe that our heart will be more likely to hear that message. If, on the other hand, we're anticipating a more traditional call to service, then that is what we will hear.

In her blog, Maced with Grace, Jules is making plans to have "Dirty Feet For Heaven in 2007." It is a call to service but also to boldness I believe. I admire that and would love to think that I can join her in that quest. For me, though, the critical thing is to open my heart to the idea of bold faith moves. Something like inner city street evangelism -- which is something I never would have been open to hearing God call me to - I want to have a heart that will be open to hearing Him call me to even that. If my heart is not receptive to that, then I will never hear that call from God, I am afraid. While it's nice to think that God's message to us will always reach us and then we make the decision to follow or not, I am not sure that is the case. We need to have a heart that is open to hearing a bold call before we will even hear it let alone act on it.

I was thinking the other day about how we live in a country which probably gives us more ability to be bold in our faith than any other country. Yet I am complacent and apathetic in living out that boldness. In countries where God's voice and love are being squelched by those in political power, there are Christians, clearly at risk of martyrdom, who are living out their faith with so much more bravery and courage than most of us are willing to do here in a very friendly environment. That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

One cannot help but think that, as the environment starts to encourage religion or should I say freedom of religion, those who practice religion become very complacent. They take the freedom for granted. They figure that God's Word will reach everyone in their country because of that freedom. However, if we don't reach out on a personal basis with God's love -- and be the face of Jesus -- to even the "least of these" in our own country, then I am afraid they will never know Jesus.

Following the barbarian way indeed involves getting one's feet dirty but I think it involves an opening of our hearts to a degress that we never before imagine. When God works to reach us, it's not just in the listening, hearing, and following. It's in the initial reception as well.

Reading McManus's book may just start you on a path of receptivity to God's call that you never imagined possible.

  posted at 5:56 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 8:27 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

"...the critical thing is to open my heart to the idea of bold faith moves."

That is certainly a huge part of what I'm aiming for, but even more so it is as you stated - that we need to just open our hearts and listen for the call. I don't know where God is going to take me over the course of this next year but I know that if I keep my ear to the heavens and my heart towards the people I'm going to be going somewhere - and hopefully that will not involve any more close calls with the bottom of a frozen lake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • PSALM 50 (The Message)
  • PSALM 49 (NIV)
  • DAYENU
  • PSALM 48 (NLT)
  • EQUIPPED FOR THE WORKPLACE
  • THAT'S HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU
  • AMAZING
  • PSALM 47 (NLT)
  • LIKE WE'RE FROM OUTER SPACE?
  • A GOOD DAY

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama