Thursday, December 14, 2006
EACH YEAR
Yesterday, Lisa and I saw the following quote on a bumper sticker:

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. -- Mother Teresa

In doing a little research, even though I do not know the context in which Mother Teresa used this phrase, I have found out that it is used a lot by Pro-Life Groups. I can support that.

However, my first take on this quote was quite different. I have read varying estimates on how many children die each and every day due to hunger-related illnesses. I have seen numbers ranging from 16,000 up to 41,000 ... each and every day ... God's children dieing because they do not have enough to eat.

And yet each day I stuff myself with food, excessive consumerism, and "holding back" for tomorrow. I come up with ways to justify it but, really, there is no way to justify it in a world where that many kids are dieing each day.

Yesterday, Lisa and I had a day off together. A most unusual and special happening in and of itself. We did some Christmas shopping and ended up buying very little (which was good) but I looked at racks and shelves and bins and cupboards full of more stuff than our entire metropolitan area could possibly really need in ten Christmases. That was sickening in and of itself.

But then the real topper came ... we then ate lunch at a restaurant we'd been wanting to try because we have heard good things about it. Chipotle Grill. Sort of an "upscale" fast food Mexican place where the workers make you a burrito to order, much like getting a sub sandwich these days.

I didn't know this was going to happen but I ended up with a burrito that I am guessing weighed well over two pounds. It might have been 20 pounds. I am not sure. It was sickening to look at and yet I ate it. I don't mean to slander Chipotle Grill but I have to say that it was all rather disgusting to be given that much food and then to eat it. (Well, actually, I ate most of it. Probably 20% of it was thrown in the trash.) I couldn't eat dinner last night and I still feel ill this morning. All I want at this point is Alka Seltzer.

All in a world where millions of God's children die each year from not having enough.

  posted at 8:21 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • THE END WILL COME
  • PSALM 55 (NIV)
  • PSALM 54 (The Message)
  • GOOD MORNING?
  • THAT TIME OF YEAR
  • PSALM 53 (The Message)
  • LEADERSHIP QUOTE
  • PSALM 52 (NIV)
  • PSALM 51 (KJV)
  • CALLED TO BE A BARBARIAN?

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama