Saturday, January 19, 2008
PAINFUL
Don't we all have memories so painful that we just shudder to even think about them? Well, I suppose I have one I need to share. And, since it just happened a couple of days ago, it is still pretty fresh in my mind.

Now, this is not any real trauma that I experienced ... no horrible emotional pain ... but still a painful experience I will not soon forget.

On Thursday, I went to a community luncheon. Sitting at my table just a couple of seats away was a gentleman who I have known for many years though I have not spent a great deal of time with him. I suppose he is in his early to mid 70's. Basically my parents' age or perhaps a few years older. I know this man mainly because I was in school with his kids. In fact, I was the same age as one of his sons. His son and I spent a lot of time together in high school. He was drum major for our marching band. I played trumpet.

So, I am at lunch and this older gentleman keeps looking at me. We all had name tags and I had made the grievous error of putting my real name on mine. I saw him read my name tag and mouth my name. And then it happened ...

here's what he said ...

"Say, Todd, don't you have a son who was in high school and band with my kids back in the 80s?"

Wow.

To add insult to injury, I had a really tough time convincing him that I was the son, not the dad in this case.

By the way -- the next morning? I slipped and fell on ice in our driveway -- went down hard, in fact. For awhile, I just laid there thinking, "Man, this hurts." It's a wonder I didn't break a hip

  posted at 3:42 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 5:50 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

I'm not going to tell you that I about died laughing when I read this or that I almost shot cola out my nose when you said "break a hip."

I'm not going to tell you that because I don't want you to feel bad...er...worse.

But I will tell you that I feel your pain. That new camera and lenses that I just got? They are so heavy that if I hold them very long my elbow locks up and my back begins to ache. When I woke up this morning I could barely move.

Getting older bites, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • ROMANS 14 (The Message)
  • TACTICS, NOT STRATEGY
  • SEUSSICAL
  • WII
  • ROMANS 13 (The Message)
  • RELATIONSHIPS
  • CHRISTOPHER RODRIGUEZ
  • PRAYER MEETING
  • TAKING GOD'S NAME IN VAIN
  • AUSSIE SPEAK

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama