Saturday, May 05, 2007
JAMES
A lot of Saturday mornings, I will go into the office for a few hours. The phone is quiet and usually there are no more than one or two other people around. In fact, the entire street my office is on usually has no more than a handful of people around. This morning, I was the only person in the office so it was a good time to catch up on things and to have a little bit of time for thinking I guess I will say.

Mid-morning, I walked out the back office door in order to get in my car and drive downtown to the post office. As I was getting in my car, someone called to me. Apparently they had been at the front door of the office, unable to get in of course. He approached me and asked me if I knew of a place where he could go in order to "get back on his feet," or something to that effect. He seemed calm and mild-mannered. I asked him where he was from. He told me that he was from a town just a few minutes away. But he explained that he was hitting the road, determined to just wander around and find himself.

I mentioned a place in town that I know of which is a joint ministry of several churches. He had never heard of it and, of course, didn't really have a way to get there. He was on foot and it is a very difficult place to give directions to. I then suggested the Salvation Army. He explained that he had been there the previous day. Apparently they had put him up for the night at one of the local "hotels" near my office. He told me that they told him they couldn't help him beyond that.

At this point, I didn't know what to do. He seemed like a good guy, even though maybe his thought processes were a little off. (We were perhaps a pretty good match in that respect.) I offered to drive him to the church ministry I knew of but I warned him that I wasn't sure if they'd be open.

On the way there, I learned that his name is James and he's 29 years old. He was born about 30 miles away from here and really doesn't have much in the way of family that he associates with. He was carrying a couple of backpacks with him and he had a long tree branch that he was carrying sort of as a walking stick. He explained that he didn't know why he had the stick but he had it. I suggested to him that, if the center where I was taking him wasn't open, I could take him to the police station and they would help him find what he needed. He grimaced at that suggestion so I didn't press it. He really wasn't explaining what he needed. He never asked for money and in fact indicated that he'd gotten some money from the Salvation Army. He did mentioned that maybe, at some point in his journey, he would get a job for awhile.

We got to the center. There were a couple of cars there so I dropped him off. He seemed content with that even though I warned him that I wasn't certain they were open. I showed him where downtown was and indicated to him again that the police would be glad to help him find what he needs.

Before we parted ways, I offered some words of encouragement. He told me that he knows and loves Jesus. James touched my heart.

A few minutes after I left the center, I realized that I still had his walking stick in my car.

Honestly, I don't know what to think of this all. It was almost surreal. My office is in an industrial park. People don't walk around there normally. James really couldn't tell me what he was looking for. He spoke clearly but yet things weren't entirely clicking. At one point he asked me where I was born and I told him. He asked me if they have any fish there. James has never gone fishing but he'd like to someday. James did not seem agitated or aggravated or sad. He just seemed to be wondering and wandering. He doesn't like it when people call him "Jimmy" because that makes him feel like a little kid.

I don't know if I did everything I could have for James. I don't feel bad about what I did do for him but yet I really don't know that I helped him. He seemed happy enough when we parted ways. If all he was really looking for was someone who would talk to him and try to help him, then he got what he was looking for. If he was looking for more than that, then I am afraid that I failed him.

One thing that this experience showed me though -- despite being relatively "plugged into" the social services available in the town where I work, I honestly didn't know what to do for James. I did the best I knew and I pray that he will be okay.

As I later pulled into my garage at home, my first inclination was to throw out his walking stick but, you know what? I think that I will keep it ... as a reminder of the wonderers and the wanderers of this world. May I learn better how to give them what they're looking for.

  posted at 3:15 PM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • CHRISTUS VICTOR
  • EXODUS 23 (The Message)
  • EXODUS 22 (NLT)
  • SUCCESS
  • NATURALISM
  • PRANK 2
  • WON'T YOU BE MY HONEYBEE?
  • EXODUS 21 (The Message)
  • THE END
  • WE WERE MADE TO LOVE AND BE LOVED

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama