Wednesday, October 31, 2007
CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY
I am pretty much an introvert. When I am overwhelmed by the world, I want to pull back and cocoon. There are lots of others out there like me.

Unfortunately, I think that we introverts all grow up thinking of ourselves as being rather defective because of our introvert natures. We have looked at others who always seemed to be in a big crowd of people and wished that could be us. It just seemed like the right way to be. But it isn't us. Not anywhere close.

I tended to always have a small group of fairly close friends growing up. I wasn't a loner exactly but I was far from being a "big group" kind of person. Whenever one of those close friends moved away or perhaps graduated, I felt a deep sense of loss.

The last few years, though, I have discovered something different in Christian community. I have discovered relationships that naturally carry a level of trust and love which can take years to develop outside of that community.

I have found people who care about me and want to know about me ... and that breaks down my walls of "introverted-ness" and makes me want to know them as well.

It is all very different to me ... but very nice. I finally feel like maybe more than one or two close friends will show up at my funeral someday. (Am I the only person who sometimes thinks about what their funeral will be like?)

Anyway, in the midst of true, authentic Christian community, we can sweep aside all of the trappings of this world. We can care deeply about each other as individuals ... as fellow travelers ... rather than as materialistic beings comparing cars or houses or watches or kids.

Discovering Christian community, and changing one's heart to live genuinely in it, does not occur overnight I do not believe. It takes time to break out of the cast into which we have been molded as humans. But, when you're in the middle of fellow followers and you all share values that point you to what is truly important, you begin to appreciate and live out relationships with each other that are faith-deepening and soul-enriching.

In my case, I cannot change being an introvert ... but I can begin to appreciate other things and see the value of multiple relationships where I am safe.

But we cannot keep this hidden in Christian community ... we are called to carry out what we experience in fellowship with other believers ... and use the things we learn there to break down walls, to bring peace and understanding, and to forge lifelong relationships outside of our local churches as well.

Today I received an email from atgodstable.com which really brought together these thoughts I have been having about community and relationships.

I share it below:


Bear one another’s burdens, and thus fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

"Bear" – How long will it take before we truly understand that the New Testament authors thought in Hebrew but wrote in Greek? Let me tell you how long. It will take as much time as it takes to realize that the Greek world that underlies our culture seduces us into behaviors that not only do not work but are opposed to God’s point of view. No better example of this tragedy can be found than what happens when we expect this command to work in most churches.

Paul was as Hebrew as they come. As a student of one of the world’s greatest rabbis, he was considered a successor to the position of a teacher of the Torah. In addition, Paul was zealous for the faith. God took those admirable characteristics and used them for His purposes. But that does not mean that Paul lost his Jewish perspective. When Paul tells the newly-formed churches to bear one another’s burdens, he means something very Jewish. Faith is not to be found in my private, inward experience of God. It is to be found in the outward actions that demonstrate that I see the world with God’s eyes. In particular, faith is to be demonstrated by my care for my neighbor. I need to step up to carry take the load from his shoulders. How else can I fulfill the law of the Messiah – to love one another?

You’ve heard all this, I’m sure. But have you thought about what it implies? If I am going to lift the burden off your shoulders, and so fulfill the law of Christ, I must know what burdens you carry. This implies that you and I share our deepest struggles, concerns, hurts and worries. I cannot fulfill the law of Christ if I don’t know what kind of load you carry. I cannot lift you up (Greek bastazo) and support you if I don’t know the real you.

Suddenly, our Greek world is threatened. The Greek world emphasizes private religious experience. It is the world in my heart. It applauds the independent, self-reliant person. It mounts a façade that masks my struggling self. No wonder the very thought of telling you precisely the burdens that weigh me down is so frightening. I don’t want you to think that I am weak. I don’t want you to know that I struggle with secret sins, that I sometimes doubt God’s grace, or that I worry about my life. I want to look like I am in control. I want to be Greek.

The Hebrew view of the world is very different. In the Hebrew view, the struggles of life are part of the process of God’s grace in me. I am weak because all men are weak. I falter because every human heart falters. If I were the perfect person that I pretend to be, I would not need God and I would not need you. When Paul tells us to bear each other’s burdens, he is advocating a view of life as it is, filled with faults and frustrations.

Will it be easy to switch? Of course not. I will always be tempted to protect my ego. But it is essential to change my thinking. Without opening myself so that you see who I really am, I prevent you from fulfilling the law of Christ. Do you think God will forgive me when my ego got in the way of His plan to bring both of us into conformity with His Son? Are you ready to strip off the Greek mask and become Jewish? Start now. Who really knows you?

  posted at 8:11 AM  
  0 comments



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Who Am I?

Name:
Todd M

Location:



An ordinary guy. A wife I love very much. A great son. Wonderful friends. A metal roofing business and a sales training business. A loving church family. A few trade associations. A Christian school. And a four-pound poodle. Just trying to follow God and see where He leads.

My Complete Profile


Buy My Book! (please)
  • Trying To Lose My "Self" In Israel

  • Past Posts
  • GOD-INSPIRED LEADERSHIP
  • DISCIPLESHIP
  • ZECHARIAH 13
  • DREAMY
  • ZECHARIAH 12
  • ZECHARIAH 11
  • FROM THE FRONT LINES
  • THURSDAY NIGHT RAMBLINGS
  • GOSSIP
  • GOING DEEPER

  • Great Blogs
  • Dan Gildner
  • Hope Shifts
  • Trey Morgan
  • Hey Jules
  • DadBloggers
  • David Porath
  • Antique Mommy
  • Tony Morgan
  • Chris Reeder
  • Gary Lamb
  • Perry Noble
  • David Foster
  • Scott Hodge
  • Mark Meyer
  • Donald Miller
  • Sidney First Leadership Community
  • Irenic Thoughts
  • Sidney First UMC

  • Archives
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • June 2010
  • September 2010
  • July 2011

  • Gargantuan List of Methodist Bloggers

    Credits and Links



    istockphoto





    Christian Blogger Network


    Blogarama